Prepare for Royal Conservatory Harmony 9 Exam
In this twelve-week course, students will learn the required material for the Royal Conservatory Level 9 Harmony examination.
- Group setting
- Set schedule
- Individual setting
- Flexible schedule
- Rate of $60 per hour of class time
- Email to inquire firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preparation for The Royal Conservatory Level 9 Harmony examination.
Week 1 and 2 - The principles of 4-part (SATB) writing; how the voices fit and move together in an appropriate manner
Throughout the course - The construction and use of various chords: I, ii and ii7, iii, IV, V and V7, vi, vii and their inversions
Week 3 and 4 - The construction and use of secondary dominants and how to modulate to different keys
Throughout the course - Two-part counterpoint: adding a melody over a bass line
Weeks 5 and 6 - Completing Bach chorales, 4-part harmonizations in which a number of voices will be missing
Throughout the course - Analysis of musical excerpts: labelling chords and identifying notes that do not belong in these chords
Week 7 - Analysis of a two-part invention, an imitative, polyphonic composition
Week 8 and 9 - Formal analysis of a composition in either binary or ternary form; identification of cadences within the composition
Week 10 and 11 - Composition of a sixteen-measure composition in rounded binary form
Week 12 - Practice examination
- Each week, students will participate in a live, one-hour online class.
- Assignments will be made from RCM Level 9 Harmony text (required). shop.rcmusic.com/products/celebrate-theory-9-harmony
- Students will submit screenshots of worksheets.
- Written feedback on worksheets will be given.
- Using direct references to the RCM text, Amy will screenshare written explanations on the whiteboard, musical excerpts, and harmony exercises.
- Amy will play each excerpt and exercise so that aural skills are reinforced along with the theoretical concepts.
- Students must have the equivalent knowledge of the RCM Level 8 Theory examination.
- Sample theory proficiency papers available online:
Learning RCM Level 9 Harmony and Counterpoint requires you to know the following concepts:
- key signatures
- chords and chord symbols